Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Angels and The Atonement‏

There is a veil placed over our eyes that keeps us from remembering our life before earth, and usually keeps us from seeing angels and spirits who reside here with us. It is one of the coolest experiences to recognize the hand of God and the influence of angels in your life even though you can't see them. This happened quite a few times this week. 
This is me and Sister Lammi. I love her quite a lot. She's definitely one of my eternal best friends, and I adore her. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to serve around her! And I am grateful that we were able to experience this week and the thinness of the veil together. The first experience we had was going to the temple as a zone. I love having the chance to reside in the Lord's house for a little while - nothing brings greater peace. This time at the temple, I received intense revelation. I always feel more receptive to the Spirit in the temple, and this time was no different. However, the revelation I was given on Wednesday was not exactly the answer I expected to my prayer. God was honest with me, and that is what I asked for. He was gracious enough to tell me what I need to change so that I might be able to have a complete focus for this last 2 months of my mission, and for that I am grateful. I had to be able to understand it loud and clear, so God made sure I heard Him! It wasn't a fun thing to hear at first, but then I realized it it what God wanted me to know so I could grow more and become better. And it was so fun to be with the whole zone! What a day! 

The second rare opportunity we had was to have a Mission Conference where Brent Neilson of the First Quorum of the 70 came and spoke to us. He taught us a lot about the Atonement. He discussed with us the difference between the Redeeming Power of the Atonement, and the Enabling Power. Most Christian's just focus on the Redeeming Power - "Have you been saved by Grace?" etc. But Elder Neilson helped us understand the importance of the Enabling Power as well. Yes, by repenting, we are saved by grace, but through the Enabling Power of the Atonement, we can be changed by grace. That is, after all, the purpose of this life. We are put here to change our nature. I was taught from on high that day, and I am very grateful for the things the Lord taught me through the Spirit. And I got to see some of my favorite people! 


It was a wonderful experience and I loved getting to see everybody. :) The last thing and probably most significant thing that happened this week was that we were in a car crash. My dearest Lammi-Lou was driving, and she ran a red light... I yelled "RED!!" too late, and we went into the intersection. As we did, a cat was coming from the drivers side heading right for Lammi. Lammi slammed on the breaks, but... The car didn't even screech. No slowing down, no nothing. The breaks didn't work. I wondered if maybe she hit the gas instead, but we didn't accelerate either, we simply went the same speed we were going, which made it so that the other car hit us on our back bumper on the drivers side. Logically, Sister Lammi should have been hit right on, leaving her seriously injured or maybe even killed. But we knew that God had intercepted. I didn't haven't have to see the angels push our car forward in order to know that they did so. The moment right before the car hit us, I knew we would be okay, and that was due to the comforting power of the Holy Ghost. The other guy was okay too, by the way. We actually ended up giving him a Book of Mormon and we now have a referral for the missionaries in his area! Woo Hoo! 
"The damage to our vehicle.  Hardly anything."
"The damage done to HIS vehicle...A little more than ours."
What I learned from this was that if we are doing all we can, if we are striving our best to serve God and show Him that we are willing to do as He asks of us, He is going to protect us. Even when we make mistakes, He will be there. The accident was our fault, but both the Redeeming Power and Enabling Power of Christ's Atonement were able to be used that day. He forgave us for our mistakes, and He enabled us to change through that experience. I am grateful for what He is teaching me, and I know that God doesn't do random. We are safe, I am driving now (haha), and we are continuing His work. I love you! I am excited to talk to you next week. :) Be safe and keep praying! 

Love Always,

Sister Nicole Guilott

P.S. Other pictures! 
"One of the Hermanas we live with: Hermana Stidham.  I love her to pieces."
"Exchanges with Sister Hughes!"
"The view of the Columbia River.  Isn't it great?"
"Jacob.  One of our investigators. :)"
"President and Sister Thomas took us out to sushi!"
"The elephant I'm holding (among her vast collection) is the same one that I had from the circus from when I was little!
I sure loved that cup.  Wonder what happened to it...Mom. :)"

No comments: