Monday, September 22, 2014

A Continued Series of Unfortunate Events

Not gonna lie, I feel like I've been somewhat of a downer these past couple of posts, but I am STILL confident things are going to be looking up this week. I'm pretty positive that the crummy is done happening for a little while. After all, this week wasn't that bad, it really wasn't. But at the same time, I'm definitely done staring at the ceiling in our house. I'll explain, but first I will tell you about all the good things that happened this week!

First, we had a wondrous Zone BBQ last Pday which was an absolute blast! Our zone is huge. Have I already told you that? Probably. Well it's the biggest zone in the mission so we know we are going to have a really good time whenever we get together. Monday was no exception. :) We met at a Bishop's house from another ward who had a BBQ, a pool table, a Foosball table, a trampoline, and all sorts of goodness. We had a ton of fun! Here's a picture of all the Sisters that were there (we are missing 2) because Elders will be Elders and they wouldn't stand still long enough to take a picture all together as a zone.
On Tuesday, we had interviews with President Taylor! Oh boy, I love that man. Having interviews with him is always the best thing ever because you get one on one time with him where you can ask anything you want and he will answer you in the best way he knows how, which is ALWAYS inspired and amazing. He told me a few things that pretty much blew my mind, and a few other things that made me feel great! He said he trusts me a lot and appreciates that people get along with me easily because that makes things easier on him. He also told me to keep doing exactly what I've been doing because it fits what a missionary should be like when it comes to working hard but still having charity for others. I'm not trying to make myself sound awesome or anything, it's just what he said and it made me feel really great. :)

We also got to go to the temple this week! That makes it my 3rd time going to the Portland temple. Every time I go, I learn so much more and feel the spirit even stronger than I did the last time. This temple is HUGE, and it's even bigger and brighter and more beautiful inside. It was great to go with Sister Lammi too, because we have so much fun together and we think the same way, so having conversations about spiritual things is so insightful because I understand what she's saying and she gets what I'm saying too. Haha does that even make sense? Whatever. I love her.
What a great trip! Okay, hold on to your hats. Our mission has set some crazy awesome goals... we want to find, obtain, teach, and baptize 400 new investigators as a mission in the next 10 days!!!!! Well, okay we just are striving to find 400 in the next 10 days. The teaching and baptizing comes later. Isn't that crazy??? Also, along with the 400 new investigators, we want to have 80 baptisms from October thru November, and have 50 baptisms in December. HOLY HANNAH THAT'S A LOT!!! There's a scripture that goes along with this goal: Doctrine and Covenants 29:7 - "And ye are called to bring to pass the gathering of mine elect; for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts." Pretty good stuff, right? Oh man, I am SO excited!!!

Yesterday at church, I sang. Again. It was super awesome because I had never heard the song before until last week, and I found another person in the ward who plays the piano like me! We had a lot of fun playing duets and writing music at her house last week, and she accompanied me while I sang this beautiful version of "Guide me to Thee" just to see what it sounded like. Little did I know that her husband was leaving a voice mail for the guy in the ward who is in charge of the music. He said, "I found you a musical number for this week," and then recorded me singing and his wife playing the piano. So I sang in sacrament meeting. :) We had 2 new investigators there too! Woot woot! All of this information is pretty out there considering the condition I was in all week...

Here is the unfortunate part. I got bit by a spider. Just a wee little lad. Okay, I never actually saw the thing, but judging by the size of the bite, he was a pretty big guy. Long story short, he made me sick. I have been vomiting all week because of him, and once the infection of the bite (aka the venom) spread, I had to go to Urgent Care and get a few shots of steroids. I have been on bed rest all week long. Like I said, I am SO DONE staring at the ceiling of our room. But hey, what can ya do? On Wednesday morningish, I woke up with a second bite on my stomach. But that one hasn't turned into anything big and nasty and scary, so hopefully it'll just go away on it's own. Crazy though, huh? This WOULD happen to me. I get back to the mission healthy and ready to work, and I get bit by a venomous spider. Putting me on my back for at least week, and sending me back to the doctor after only 2 weeks of being back in the field. Well I'm not getting down! I'm a tough Sista and I'll be back up and running this week for sure!
Progression of the Spider Bite
On the upside, today marks my 8 months. WHAT?!?! Is this real life? Geez time, take it easy!

Well I love you all and I will talk to you again next week about how awesome it is to be up out of bed and working hard! Haha love you!

Love Always,

Sister Nicole Guilott

No comments: