Monday, March 10, 2014

Time is FLYING!

I know that most of you are probably thinking, "You've only been out a month and a half, time can't be flying yet!" But it really is! This last week went by SOOOO fast! It was great that it started with Mardigras! We had a District Meeting on Tuesday, and since it was Fat Tuesday, we didn't hesitate to eat a lot for lunch that day. The majority of us went to Popeyes since it was the only New Orleans food that we could think of. The lady behind the counter wasn't very enthusiastic when I said, "Happy Mardigras!" though. It was sad. But the chicken was yummy!


Looks good right? It was! On Wednesday we went on exchanges with the STL's. It was my first time on exchanges, and I guess you could say that I do not look forward to going on them again. I mean, it was fine. I stayed in Lacamas Creek so I got to drive! That was nice. I made sure I had back up plans for my back up to my back up plans. I was ready to go! Good thing too, because a lot of the people we contacted couldn't meet with us for very long, so we were always going to visit my back up people. We talked to just about everybody on my list and got return appointments with every single one of them! A lot of them committed to come to church (mostly because I reminded them all that Sister Major and I were singing in Sacrament Meeting, but still), and all of them were excited to meet with us again. I felt like we were doing awesome! However, as we were driving back to the STL's area to make the companion switch, she gave me my "exchange evaluation," and though I felt we had done GREAT that day, she made it sound like I was doing everything wrong and was a terrible missionary. I just sat and listened, trying to focus on the road and not cry, and by the time we got back to her area, she remembered that I'm a new missionary and that this was my first exchange. She said, "Oh! Yeah, that makes much more sense... In that case, you're doing great!" That didn't really help a lot, but I guess it made it better that I'm still a Greenie? Anyway, the advice she gave me overall made me upset because she made it sound like she wanted me to be a robot missionary, which I will not become. People relate to people, not robots. If we weren't having any success in our area, I might take her advice and go more on the robot side, but Lacamas Creek is definitely growing in teaching pool and in success, so we're gonna stick with what we are doing. :) It only effected me for a short amount of time, we were golden again and ready to work by the time we went to bed that night.

"Hazelnut milkshakes from Burgerville. Celestial my friends. Too good."

We met some really wonderful people while we were tracting this week. In one neighborhood, we had a good amount of people laugh at us and close the door, but a good four houses in a row allowed us to teach a
short lesson on the doorstep, place a Book of Mormon, and make a return appointment with them. One in particular is named Karen. She was soft and gentle when she opened the door. We could tell she was feeling tender and has a soft heart that has been prepared for the Gospel as soon as she opened the door. As we started to share what we are here to do and teach, she got teary and we knew that teaching her would be absolutely wonderful! She is ready for the message the Lord has for her, and we are so excited to go back and start teaching her! She has two 8 year old daughters and they are the cutest little things! I haven't stopped thinking about Karen since we met her, I'm so excited to see her again.

Another person in that neighborhood that let us teach a bit was Sam. We pulled up in the neighborhood, and she was saying goodbye to her boyfriend out by his car. They kissed a lot (Gasp! A missionary witnessed kissing? What is this?), said goodbye, and he got into his homemade car, revved the engine a lot, and drove away. We waited till he was gone to start getting out of our car and approaching Sam, but he came back around the other corner, parked in her driveway and went up to the door. We walked over toward him as he was leaving again, and I told him he had a beautiful car. I asked him how long it took to fix it up, how much it cost, etc. and he opened up immediately. To switch things up, I had been talking in an English accent... I didn't realize I was still doing it when I was talking to them! We talked for about 10 minutes to the both of them (Sam had come back outside, and the boyfriend's name is Benny. The Car's name is Susanna), and set up a return appointment! We were so excited, but I was so embarrassed! Next time I'm gonna have to talk in the accent again! We told Bonnie and Elizabeth, and they said to just slowly wean off of the accent... Haha! I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. :P

"We helped Sister Shoemaker put together little handouts to help the ward get excited
about the Ward Mission Plan! Every member a missionary!"

We attended a baptism with Elizabeth on Saturday to prepare her for her own baptism coming up on March 15 (this Saturday!) at 4 o'clock. She is so ready! I love her so much. She has really been able to feel the love that her Heavenly Father has for her, and she has been strong enough to overcome the things that Satan has been consistently throwing at her. He's been working especially hard on her these past couple weeks since we told her to pray about a date, but she has remained strong and will continue to be that way throughout her life. She's a wonderful wonderful woman, and we know that she understands the covenant that she is about to make, and that she is ready for it. Ah! I love this! The baptism was a really good experience, and a good way to teach her more about what will be happening for her on Saturday. She is so excited to be baptized, and we are stoked too! In case I haven't said that enough times yet... WE'RE SO EXCITED!!!

Yesterday was a beautiful Sabbath. President and Sister Taylor came and spoke in our ward, Sister Major and I sang while our dear Marjorie Wallace accompanied us, Elizabeth made sure I knew I was singing at her baptism, and everyone was just wonderful. The members here are incredible, and I am so grateful for them! I am grateful that we don't have to be nervous to have Elizabeth baptized into this ward; she will
be well taken care of and the members will continue to love her and serve her.

Sister Major has a beautiful CD that she made before coming out here by the way. If you can get a hold of one somehow, do it. She's amazing. I am continually grateful for her and her example, and we are nervous as can be for transfers next week! We cannot split yet! Pray that we will stay together for at least one more transfer. We sure have been praying fervently for it!

"Playing Rummikub with Sister Debenham for family home evening!"

This week was wonderful. I'm grateful for the trials that came, and the better missionary I am because of them. Every trial helps us to grow, and I can personally testify that my trials are doing just that. I am continually learning so much from myself, my companion, the members, the investigators, President, other missionaries, and simply everyone I meet! I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve. I couldn't be happier than I am right now. Well... I guess God can prove me wrong. I am happier and happier each day, especially after I am tried. It is only after we see sorrow that we can truly recognize genuine happiness. I love these people, I love my Savior and my Heavenly Father, I love the Holy Ghost, and I love Lacamas Creek. This week is going to be even better and I can not wait to see what The Lord has in store. I'll let you know next week!

Love Always,

Sister Guilott

P.S.
Take a look at the beautiful Vancouver!


 


"Getting ready to tract in the rain!"

"What missionaries do for fun in Vancouver. Might as well add to constantly wet!!!!" 




1 comment:

Diane said...

My daughter McKenzie will be joining you soon in the Washington Vancouver Mission! We are thrilled for her! Any tips about the best boots...judging from your puddle photo--she will need great ones!